Saturday, October 9, 2010

mmm chili

So Mother Nature decided to taunt me for a few weeks with some gorgeous fall weather.  My response? Breaking out the Crock Pot, of course. One of my new favorite go-to recipes is chili.  Probably because it's one of those meals that is constantly changing, dependent on whatever is in my cupboards at the time.  The original inspiration for this recipe was found on All Recipes (my favorite website. ever.)  It started as a chili made with pork tenderloin: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jerres-Black-Bean-and-Pork-Tenderloin-Slow-Cooker-Chili/Detail.aspx.


Jeremy and I agreed that yesterday's batch was the best attempt yet.  Although I didn't really measure everything, here's how the recipe currently stands:


Crock Pot Chili
*1lb of ground turkey, browned and seasoned with hamburger spices
*1-16oz jar medium salsa (the stuff with the big chunks of tomatoes and peppers)
*2 cans of black beans
*1 can chili beans
*1 cup beef stock (one can)
*1/2 cup frozen corn
*1/3 cup ketchup (to sweeten it up)
*1 tablespoon chili powder
*1 tsp oregeno powder
*1 tsp cumin
*1/2 tsp cardamom
*1/2 tsp fresh black pepper


I usually throw whatever other spices sound good at the time. This time it was a few dashes of hamburger seasoning and nutmeg and parsley, I think.  You can substitute the beef stock for beer, too.  That's what I usually do, but we only had really good beer in the house, which I didn't want to waste. ;)  


mmm chili and cheese.
I usually cook up the hamburger/turkey the night before.  Then just throw this all together in the Crock Pot, set it on low, give it a good stir, and leave for the day.  Come home, give it another good stir; add some water/beer if it gets too dry.  We typically serve it over some brown rice and top with shredded cheddar.  This recipe will make enough for us to get at least 8 (hearty) servings, and it's rather inexpensive too!

No comments:

Post a Comment