Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cake Balls!

So I decided to try out a new recipe after a bunch of the ladies on The Knot were talking about cake balls. The directions seemed pretty simple, but I figured I should try looking up a few recipes just in case. I got some inspiration from Bakerella and some from All Recipes. Eventually I just said screw it and picked up stuff from the grocery store. I got lucky and scored a few boxes of cake and tubes of frosting... all on sale for $1/piece! So here's my recipe:

Ingredients
*1 box, Holiday Funfetti cake mix
*3 eggs
*1/3 C vegetable oil
*1 1/4 C water
*tube of Funfetti frosting
*1 lb chocolate almond bark

Directions
1. Bake cake according to directions on box in any size pan referenced.
2. Cool cake almost completely,
3. Crumble in large mixing bowl. The smaller the pieces, the better.
4. Stir in jar of frosting until well blended.
5. Form into even-sized balls. (Melon ballers or small scoop recommended!)
6. Cool cake balls in refridgerator 2-3 hours or until firm.
7. Melt almond bark slowing in microwave or double-boiler.
8. Dip cake ball into almond bark and coat evenly. (I used a fork to scoop it out, and atoothpick to slide off of fork onto wax paper to dry.)
9. Let harden completely, then store in fridge.

This made about 50 or so cake balls for me. You can obviously adjust the size as needed to adjust the yield.

Here's a few pictures of the process:

........

Baked, crumbled cake......cake balls waiting for coating

Finished product:
...


nom nom nom

Overall, they were delicious.... much tastier after we let them cool overnight, though. Cooling them also helped harden the chocolate coating, which improved the texture in my opinion. I loved the soft crunch combined with the gooey cake inside.

A few changes I would make next time:
*Decrease the oil/water in the cake mix to help dry out the cake a little. I've never tasted cake balls before, but these seemed a little too moist inside.
*Maybe fridge/freeze them longer too before coating?
*Mix a little oil into the chocolate to keep it runny enough. It hardened pretty quickly, which made it much more difficult to coat them evenly.
*Smaller balls so I can get more of them. They're very rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment